Los Angeles native and USC student Sophie Elkus is a self-described fashion addict. Her blog Angel Food Style is where her joy for putting together the perfect outfit comes to life. And you would think that her fabulous dress sense must come second to her studies, but Sophie proves that having a full schedule doesn’t mean sacrificing style. This week, she’s sharing her favorite beauty and fashion tips for women on-the-go with us on our blog.
I can’t remember the last time I used a JanSport backpack to carry my textbooks and laptop. Why take it back to middle school when you can upgrade to a chic tote or structured satchel? There are so many stylish collegiate accessories on the market that it’s hard to narrow down my search to these few favorites.
A Model’s NYFW Diary: Derek Lam and Diane Von Furstenburg
When it comes to high fashion, model Alana Zimmer is one of the biggest names in the industry. Some of her latest accomplishments: starring in the current Akris and Givenchy Beauty ad campaigns and walking in the Armani Privé and Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture shows last month in Paris. Currently the Canadian beauty is in the Big Apple for New York Fashion Week and doing her second backstage photo diary for us. Check back each day for more of her supercool pics from a model’s perspective!
Derek Lam and Diane von Furstenburg:
- Mirte and I in the finished look.
- Bright white runway.
- Two become one. Sara and Mirte’s matching crimped hair.
- The secret behind the hair on Hanne Gaby.
- Sparkly colour palette from Estée Lauder.
- The looks.
- Jacquelyn having her hair curled and set.
- Valentines colors.
- Our key instructions: Enjoy the party!
- Blurry Martha and I in our pink and red. Love is in the air!
This New York Fashion Week, we have a new blog contributor—and she’s as pro as they come. Model Alana Zimmer (whose resume includes regular Vogue editorials, walking in couture shows like Armani and Jean Paul Gaultier, and starring in Nicole Miller’s fall ad campaign) is taking exclusive backstage pics for us at all the shows she’s in this season. Check back each day to see NYFW from a model’s point of view!
Estée Lauder makeup by Tom Pecheaux.
Loving the crop tops!
Spoiler alert: Some of our members will be receiving exclusive lace-printed Twistbands in their September Birchboxes!
As much as we love summer, fall fashion is so much more fun. Load of layers, cozy sweaters, kicky boots—there are too many options. One trend we’re particularly excited about this season is lace. We love the girly texture so much that we teamed up with Twistband to create a custom collection of lace-printed hair ties. We’ll be sampling these ultra-feminine hair ties to many of our members this month—get excited!
The exclusive set of six hair ties is the perfect way to add the ultra-feminine fabric to your wardrobe. When we created the collection we took color inspiration from the Fall 2012 catwalks—shows like Chanel, Diane von Furstenberg, and Lanvin. Click through to see the runway shots we used for our mood boards!
Clockwise from left: New Julian wrap dress, $325, dvf.com; Penny Leather Patch Cube satchel, $1,200, dvf.com; Diane fragrance; and DVF 531s sunglasses, $175, dvf.com
Diane von Furstenberg has certainly made her presence known as a leader in women’s fashion, so we’re thrilled to hear that this guru is stepping her high heels onto the fragrance scene, too. This fall she’ll be introducing Diane, the first-ever fragrance, let alone beauty product, by DVF—and we have a feeling it won’t be the last (buzz about a DVF makeup and skincare line has us on our toes!). The woody-floral scent, created by Givaudan perfumer Aurelian Guichard is “the power of women in a bottle,” says von Furstenberg. It’s no surprise that DVF plans to make a strong statement with her fragrance since everything in the designer’s line, from her signature bold-patterned wrap dresses to her eye-popping sunglasses, never fails to turn heads. A few of my favorite power-woman DVF pieces are pictured above—it probably goes without saying that I’m eager to test out her forthcoming fragrance, too!
Check out more fragrances in our Birchbox Shop!
Photo from Refinery29.com
Happy April Fools! Mother Nature seems to be playing her own trick on us East Coasters today with some very unpleasant weather, so we were happy to be indoors working away and reading blogs for our links list. Here’s to being another month closer to summer!
- We’re always paying close attention to news about e-commerce (for obvious reasons), and found two excellent articles today about the direction in which it’s going. First, Bloomberg discusses the trend of digital magazines integrating online selling opportunities, an idea we happen to think is quite natural. The other, in Computer World of all places, covers a presentation from the Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco earlier this week about the radical transition e-commerce will soon undergo because of three things customers want: mobility, local recommendations, and greater personalization.
- Beauty High alerted us to the fact that Oscar de la Renta debuted his new fragrance via Facebook and Tumblr this morning. This is the latest sign that the venerable brand is heavily invested in social media. The online “face” of the brand, OscarPRGirl, already has 42,110 Twitter followers and a robust Tumblr blog.
- Speaking of fragrance, Refinery 29 has perfumer Carlos Huber’s picks for top scents for spring. Parfums Del Rae’s Coup de Foudre rose fragrance just shot to the top of our wish list.
- We like Diane von Furstenberg for lots of reasons, but now we have another: The designer spoke to Harper’s Bazaar about her appreciation for wrinkles and desire to look older. How refreshing.
- In the beauty industry, you’d be hard pressed to find someone more legendary than Estee Lauder. The NYTimes has a fascinating article about the late founder’s eponymous company, worth reading for anyone interested in business, beauty, or simply strong women.
- Would you ever buy perfume based on your blood type? Well, with True Blood’s forthcoming fragrance, you’ll now have that option. Thanks BellaSugar for alerting us to this news!
Did you know you could directly ask us questions here on our blog? Click the button, “Ask Birchbox Anything!” to the right.