Reading List: Get Party Ready in Just 10 Minutes, Life Lessons from Vince Vaughn (Seriously), 5 Get-Happy Tips, and More
1. Holiday Beauty How To: We’re over the moon to announce a series of holiday makeup tutorials with InStyle. First up, InStyle’s Beauty Director Kahlana Barfield teaches Mollie how to get holiday party ready in just 10 minutes.
2. Vince Vaughn’s Life Lessons: Who knew this funny guy had a soft spot? Fresh off the premiere of his new film, Delivery Man, Vince Vaughn opens up to Birchbox Man about being yourself, the importance of change, and the role of friendship.
3. 5 Ways to Be Happy Now: Beat your seasonal blues with these surefire tips to make you smile. Spoiler alert: Doing good for others is one of the best ways to turn your frown upside down.
4. Queen Karlie: Our UK team goes all fangirl on their #1 style inspiration, the angelic Karlie Kloss. Find out why they love her and (bonus!) how to get her signature look.
5. Flipboard x Birchbox: Birchbox’s new partnership with Flipboard makes it easy to shop via your tablet or phone. Even better? Act like a Birchbox editor and curate your own shareable wishlists with friends and family!
Good news: purchase a Birchbox subscription by November 17 and you’ll score our amazing November Birchbox. Packed with topnotch samples from can’t-miss brands, it has everything you need stay gorgeous all month long.
Finding the right skincare routine can be like solving a jigsaw puzzle. Which product do you use when? (And where? and how?) This week the experts at DDF Skincare (whose Amplifying Elixir some of you may find in your box this month!) hopped on Twitter to answer your questions about piecing together the ideal skincare routine. From when to exfoliate to the benefits of their oh-so-cool new tool, the Revolve 500x, here are our top five favorite tips we learned from our chat:
1. When cold weather hits, double up: “Try exfoliating twice per week, and use a moisturizer with glycerin to help with winter dryness.”
2. While the size of your pores does not actually change (myth buster!), the DDF Wrinkle Resist + Pore Minimizer can help “diminish the look of pores.”
3. Never swap in a nighttime moisturizer for a morning one: “AM formulas are designed to protect, and PM formulas are designed to restore.”
4. When feeling lazy, stick to the basics: “#1 is UV protection every day. A basic skincare regimen is cleanse twice a day and moisturize at night."
5. Why invest in the new DDF Revolve 500x? It boasts a “360 degree rotation technology that your hands/scrubs simply can’t replicate.”
Want more skincare tips? You can read through the entire chat with #AskDDFSkincare.
Dry winter skin giving you the blues? Check out 3 ways to Repair Your Skin Right Now.
Big Pores, Big Problems
Huge pores may have been the only beauty woe suffered by Mean Girls diva supreme Regina George (played by plucky actress Rachel McAdams), but unfortunately many of us can relate. The unsightly problem occurs when dirt, oil, or dead skin cells gather at the base of hair follicles, causing the pores to clog and look larger than we’d like. Instead of exfoliating with sandpaper to get gunk-free pores, we recommend these wonderful products:
1. dr. brandt microdermabrasion skin exfoliant. Buff away dead skin cells and erase dirt and oil with this gentle yet effective exfoliant. This facial scrub mimics in-office microdermabrasion treatments without any chapping, irritation, or harmful chemicals. A few uses will have your skin bright and renewed in no time.
2. DDF Wrinkle Resist Plus Pore Minimizer. Once your face is freshly scrubbed clean, smooth on this serum to hydrate skin and repair damaged skin cells. The formula fills pores and wrinkles for an all-over smooth look, while powerful amino peptides work to regenerate your skin.
3. IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores. Top off your regimen with this finishing powder. The super-fine fragrance- and talc-free powder erases lines and makes pores appear tighter while vitamins A, C, and E fight off free radicals. Give yourself a light dusting with a large brush and watch the airbrushing effects create smooth-skin perfection.
(Photo Courtesy of eldubyu.tumblr.com)
We picked the brain of amazing celeb dermatologist Dr. Brandt. Read the full interview here!
5 Ways to Avoid Breaking Out in the Summer
While I love summer weather, I’m not a huge fan of the heat and sweat threatening me with breakouts. Piling on the necessary amount of sunscreen and heavy makeup doesn’t exactly make my skin a happy camper. I’d rather be enjoying the sun than worrying about breakouts. That’s why I’m revamping my usual beauty routine with help from our latest video.
These 5 tips will help you avoid those pesky pimples and keep your skin happy. Summer skincare is all about keeping it light and fresh so I always look for products that will keep my skin matte. Supergoop!® SPF 30+ Everyday UV Lotion for Face and Body is a perfect sunscreen that will keep your skin protected without feeling greasy. I don’t have perfect skin so I rely on at least a little coverage in the summer. CC creams like Pur Minerals CC Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 40 provide enough coverage without the feel of heavy makeup. Kiss those breakouts goodbye!
These tips not enough? Here are more 7 Tricks for Nixing Summer Breakouts.
There are a couple great upsides of my oily complexion: 1. no dry flaky skin most of the year and 2. an occasionally dewy appearance in photos. But one of the major downsides is that in extra hot and humid weather, no matter how much mattifier I wear or how many oil-absorbing sheets I have on hand, inevitably within an hour of being outside, I will be a gleaming glistening mess. And that means I can expect my fair share of breakouts coming very soon.
The one surefire way I’ve discovered to avoid seriously bad flare ups this time of year: using salicylic acid products. The latest formula that I’ve added to my regime is DDF’s acne control treatment and it’s one of the most effective that I’ve tried.
Any Michiganders out there? This week our senior manager of social media, Rachel, is leaving for her wedding in Charlevoix, Michigan! (Note: longtime Birchbox fans have probably been anticipating this day since October when her engagement bling started popping up all over our Instagram feed.)
Before Rachel left Manhattan for her two week stint in the Midwest we made her spill the beans about which products made the cut for her big trip. Here’s what she’s taking with her, and why: