Holiday Party Style, DIY Decorating Tips, and More
1. Get Crafy!: In this video, Birchbox staffer Charlie shows us three awesome holiday decorations that you can make at home. Pass the glitter!
2. How To Tie a Bow Tie: This cute little video from Birchbox Man totally demystifies the intimidating prospect of trying a real-deal bow tie. Easier than we thought!
3. Holiday Party Style: Finally! The Birchbox holiday celebration is tonight, and three lucky staffers will don adorable dresses courtesy of Rebecca Taylor. See how they styled their dresses, and pick up a few tips for your own office party!
4. Awards Season Begins: This week, we were totally psyched to see so many of our favorite ladies nominated for Golden Globes. From J. Law to Kerry Washington, we can barely wait to see what beauty looks they sport on the red carpet.
5. Natural Shimmer: Meanwhile across the pond, staffers at Birchbox UK tested out some seriously shimmery eyeshadows. See how they got the understatedly chic look!
Join Birchbox before December 17 to receive our holiday-themed Sparkle & Shine December Box!
Whenever a big season change comes around, we know it’s time for us to overhaul our daily regimens. Which is why we asked some of beauty’s best to share their tips on how we should shake things up with our regularly scheduled beauty lineup. From how to protect your skin to the trick for scoring the longest lashes ever, here’s the insider advice that you won’t want to miss:
1. Try Going Natural
This fall at New York Fashion Week, we asked Juice Beauty founder Karen Behnke to tell us her big predictions for the coming year: “Gentle fruit-based, gluten-free beauty products are going to be a huge trend in 2014.” Heed this savvy founder’s advice and test drive all-natural alternatives like Juice Beauty’s recently launched collection of organic cosmetics. The line uses ingredients like organic açai, goji berries, blueberries, pomegranate, and cranberries to create gorgeous, vivid colors. Our current fave is the Glowing Cheek Color, which eschews parabens, petroleum, and pesticides and has a lovely dewy finish.
Our editor Candice is one of the first people we turn to for insight into the newest and best products we just have to get our hands on. A tech nerd at heart who also happens to look stunning in red lipstick, she’s equally game for discussions about comic books and the art of blending a gradient eye shadow look. In our latest video, Candice shares her picks for a fabulous fall—watch the video for her seasonal-must-haves, then check out highlights from her beauty profile and list of favorites below:
For more information about all of Candice’s picks (and to add them to your own favorites) go to Birchbox.com.
The beauty world doesn’t lack for dynamic duos (case in point: our own fearless co-founders Katia and Hayley). We asked four of our favorite brands tell us how it all began.
From the stories of their first encounters to the biggest challenges they’ve faced along the way, here’s how these pairs created their seriously standout companies.
Next week social media intern Julia is heading to Italy, first to Liguria and then Sicily. She’ll be spending time with her family, swimming in the Mediterranean, and of course indulging in lots of focaccia. (Bring us, too!) Here’s what she’s packing in her valigia:
1. Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper: Vacation is when I like to take a break from constantly blow drying and straightening my hair so this curl keeper is the only styling product I am bringing along- it leaves my curls soft and bouncy, plus it doesn’t build up or feel heavy.
This weekend, I’m heading out of the sticky city and up to the fresh air of Andover, NH. I’m lucky enough to have a friend with a lakefront house, and even luckier that she doesn’t say no when I ask if she’d like some company. Happily, there isn’t much to do except kayak, cook with the bounty of the local farmer’s market, and make our annual pilgrimage to the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen’s Fair (which is as awesome as it sounds). Product-wise, it’s all about restoring and repairing—here’s what I’m bringing along.
We’ll never tire of video tutorials, but sometimes we want a step-by-step that we can move through at our own pace. Enter: gif tutorials. Like videos, they make it easy for us to imitate the motions, but we don’t have to press pause every time we need to take a second look. Plus, they’re pretty fun to watch. Our new series will show how to get our favorite looks—from braids to cat eyes to sunless tanning—in simple, gif-tastic ways.
Summer calls for a number of sleeveless occasions and sometimes we just don’t have time to go through the whole process of fake tanning to get that pretty bronzed glow. Enter: Caudalie Divine Legs. Part skin-firming lotion and part bronzer, this lightweight lotion gives limbs a subtle glow that even the palest of ladies can appreciate.
And despite its name, there’s no reason you can’t use this lotion on your arms. In fact, we encourage it! Read on to see how editor Lorelei gets her arms bronzed and even in just a few minutes.
1. Grab your Caudalie Divine Legs and pump a small amount of lotion into your palm. And don’t worry about accidentally staining your hands — this innovative formula washes right off with soap and water!
Inside the Birchbox July Sneak Peek
Each month, the Birchbox Sneak Peek is as highly anticipated for our staffers as it is for our customers and this month is no different. July’s theme is Power Play, a move that maximizes your happiness or confidence. What better way to make the most of this summer than to be at the top of your game? I love being able to have fun with family and friends without having to worry about beauty mishaps so I’m super excited to try out theBalm cosmetics InStain Long-Wearing Powder Staining Blush. A blush that looks like a powder but lasts as long as a stain? Now that’s what I need on those long summer days. Watch the July Sneak Peek video below and then let us know which products are you looking forward to!
Also curious about this long-wearing blush? Check out our thoughts on The Longest Lasting Blush You’ll Ever Own.