Whether you live in a tiny apartment or a sprawling ranch-style home, chances are you don’t get to update your décor as frequently as you’d like. I know I’ve been stuck with the same furniture since my first apartment after college because hey, it still works. But even if you don’t have the budget to do a redecoration right now, there are still a lot of small, very easy things you can do to make your home feel fresh and impress guests.
1) Incorporate pops of color into your color scheme: I can’t get enough of these cobalt blue C. Wonder Foo Dogs, which would look trés fetching on the book shelf next to my copy of Isabella Blow’s biography and old copies of New York Magazine. I’ve also got my eye on these Core Bamboo Utensils with color-blocked handles, which would certainly encourage me to cook more frequently.
Snapshots of JONATHAN ADLER’S posh downtown store—everywhere we looked beautiful displays dazzled us. (Photo: putucos.com)
Last night, we teamed up with one of our favorite interior designers, JONATHAN ADLER, to throw an awesome event for our New York subscribers. Birchboxers had the chance to checkout the design maven’s insanely chic Soho outpost and shop Adler’s signature candles, adorable accent pillows, and quirky home décor essentials.
We caught up with our always-lovely subscribers and indulged in spiked hot chocolate. Adding to the festive scene, Color Club®'s nail art experts were giving on-trend manis and Sweetery NYCs food truck (conveniently located right outside the store) served up delectable s’mores. Here are some of our favorite pics from the event.
On any given weekend afternoon, you’ll find me hunched over my kitchen counter, inventing a recipe using farmer’s market ingredients and make-believing that my last name is Waters—as in Alice Waters of Chez Panisse. I love getting creative and pairing unexpected flavors together (pomegranate and fennel? yes please!). What I don’t love is the laborious prep involved in cutting veggies and preparing seasonings to go into each dish. I need a sous chef stat. Recently, however, I’ve been figuring out ways to save time and space in the kitchen without cutting corners by using a few nifty gadgets. Here are the top three that I think all home cooks should have in their arsenal:
For our Birchbox Home limited edition box, we created recipe cards featuring original designs (thank you, Team Creative!) so you can jot down your favorite creations. And to give you a head start, we pre-printed three cards with recipes from some of our favorite food bloggers and experts: Food52, Amateur Gourmet, and The Wednesday Chef. From an elegant cocktail to addictive brussels sprouts, these creations will become staples in your dinner party (or weeknight supper) repertoire. Click through for all three recipes!
As you’ve probably seen, we’re super-duper excited about our brand new Limited Edition Home box and pop up shop. The box itself is packed full of cute essentials for entertaining, along with fabulous little luxuries like truffle salt to turn any dish gourmet and a home fragrance that you’ll be proud to display (a.k.a. not Febreeze).
It’s a lovely housewarming or holiday gift for anyone who loves cooking and entertaining (or anyone who wants to learn!). That is, if you can bear to give it away. Since we know it might be difficult to see what everything in the box looks like online, our Editorial Director Mollie Chen filmed her very first unboxing video to show you what’s inside! Watch the video below and let us know which product from the box you’re most excited about.
Truffle salt, DIY kits, home fragrances, oh my!
I know you’re probably overwhelmed by all the Cyber Monday deals in your inbox (I know I am), so I’m going to make it easy for you by suggesting one single gift that is good for just about everyone in your life: our Limited Edition Birchbox Home. Now, I know that not everyone is as obsessed with food and entertaining as I am. But I maintain that this box appeals to nearly everyone (OK, maybe not your “I only eat instant ramen” brother). Here’s my reasoning:
We know you don’t have oodles of time to browse through everything on the Birchbox blog and in the magazine each week. Here’s a short list of the top blog posts, articles, videos, and news that we don’t want you to miss. Read them while you’re cozied up on your couch or in between activities this weekend.
- Superstylish Appetizers in 10 Minutes or Less: Who has hours to spend slaving over a hot stove? Not us, and certainly not you. That doesn’t mean you can’t be the hostess with the mostest. Whip these up just before your guests arrive and you’ll have them gushing over your prowess in the kitchen.
- Meet the Founder: MCMC Fragrances: Brooklyn based indie perfumer Anne McClain isn’t your typical CEO. In our sit down with her, she spilled the beans on everything from her favorite smells to the super power she wishes she had.
- How To: Fold a Pocket Square 3 Ways: The holidays are basically here, which means lots of fancy gatherings and family obligations. Prep your brother, boyfriend, husband, or male friends ahead of time by sharing this easy video on how to fold a pocket square.
- 11 Discontinued Childhood Foods We Still Miss: It’s official: Twinkies are being discontinued. We hoped this day would never come, but Glamour is helping us get through this with its list of other childhood foods that are also no longer.
Find gifts for everyone on your list in our special Holiday Shop.
Our creative team is pretty, well, creative and they come across beautiful imagery, design, and so much more all the time. Once a week, they’ll be sharing their latest inspirations—from pretty-hued wrapping paper to silly YouTube memes—so you can see the unexpected items that get them fired up.
1. A chicken timer from my co-worker, Kathleen.
2. Chicken timer illustrations that I pasted up all over the office.
3. The final product: recipe cards!
I love to cook, and I have a shameless obsession with cute kitchen goods—salt and pepper shakers, measuring cups, and yes, even chicken timers. That last adorable and quirky item was the inspiration behind the recipe cards included in our new Limited Edition: Home box. When I found out that I’d be creating the cards, I dove into making illustrated icons that reminded me of my favorite kitchen supplies—the staples and whimsical accessories that make cooking so much fun.
In need of a home box to call your own? Enter our P.S. - I Made This… DIY giveaway on Facebook!