Notable Quotables is a weekly series featuring a great quote. Whether it’s the founder of a beloved beauty brand, an eccentric makeup artist making headlines, or even a super-stylish celebrity, our favorite tastemakers always have something worth sharing.
Beth Ditto, Gossip singer and the most recent MAC collaborator, is anything but reserved when it comes to her hair and makeup. She certainly isn’t afraid to experiment and get a little out of the box—a quality we love! A few weeks ago she spoke with Into The Gloss’ Emily Weiss about everything from her high school beauty aspirations to a secret trick for getting the most out of Kool-Aid hair dye. It’s potentially useful information since the dip-dyed hair trend clearly isn’t going anywhere.
"I really enjoyed the whole Southern beauty thing—I probably had big bangs for way too long because I loved doing it so much, huge bangs. Sometimes I would put Sun-In in. And then the Kool-Aid thing came along. I tell you what—I was really good at doing Kool-Aid in my hair, ‘cause other kids were actually trying to pour it in their hair when it was watered down, but I would mix it with Noxzema so it was really concentrated, and then put it on. I would Sun-In my hair first, and then I would put two packets of red Kool-Aid into a little thing of Noxzema and put that on my hair and let it dry. I got mildly made fun of, but not as much as my bandmates did."
—Beth Ditto to Into The Gloss
Shop our favorite makeup in the Birchbox Shop.
This weekend we’re in the mood to try new things: new nail art, new products from Japan, and even a new way to pick out our makeup. Lucky for us (and you!), our favorite sites have some ideas.
We love nail art inspired by fashion—especially when it’s something we actually might be able to achieve ourselves. This lovely ombre plus lace version is inspired by the Chanel Resort 2012 collection. Image: Beauty Blitz
- Fashionista revealed their five favorite Japanese drugstore beauty products. We’ll be placing our orders this weekend. Who knew Japanese Q-Tips were so much better than ours? [Fashionista]
- The Beth Ditto and MAC collaboration is available now. The polka-dotted ad is too cute and the makeup looks almost as fun as Ditto herself. [Fashion Etc]
- Speaking of Chanel, She Finds has all the details on their summer makeup collection, Bombay Express. It will be released this month and features loads and loads of gold. [She Finds]
- L’Oreal Paris just created a new iPhone app that helps you easily match your makeup to your outfit. In addition to making it look totally useful, their demo video stars the French and lovely Inès de la Fressange. [Fast Co. Create]
- We’re big fans of the spray tan. If you’re going to insist on getting tan, fake is the only way to go. Looks like Mark Wahlberg shares our opinion because he was just spotted getting a custom spray on his balcony. [The Gloss]
Getting a spray tan is no excuse to slack on the SPF application. Shop our favorite sun-protecting products this weekend.
Happy Friday! There’s a bit of a calm-before-the-storm feeling in the office right now—mainly in anticipation of NYFW, but also February and the Superbowl (not to mention the dreaded Valentine’s Day). Before it gets too crazy, catch up on some reading! These are all the links we’re loving this week.