Let’s face it: We all need career advice at some point. That’s why Megan Broussard, a contributor to The Daily Muse and Glass Heel, created ProfessionGal, a blog geared toward working women. This week, we’re lucky to have Megan sharing her best tips for success in the workplace.
Take it from the girl who goes to bed late thanks to karaoke-lovin’ friends and wakes up early for a cute cockapoo who expects his morning walk. On the weekdays especially, I sleep in until the last possible second.
And, in order to make it to the office in time, I use the following three products that make my morning routine much more efficient.
Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel at Time’s 100 most influential people gala earlier this week.
Like most worker bees, my 9 AM office routine follows a fairly familiar pattern. Trudge zombie-like towards coffee, browse my inbox for 10 minutes, then head to a gossip site to catch up on some celeb happenings. (Especially here, beauty news is important!)
This morning, I found myself swooning over a photo of America’s favorite newlyweds: the Timberlakes. While we don’t all have red-carpet galas to attend, these looks are still perfect for a night out on the town or a formal summer wedding. The former Ms. Biel looked radiant with bronze smoky eyes and a Bridgette Bardot-esque ‘do, and her beau looked particularly dashing in his updated 20/20 Experience look—we love the side-swept hair and fitted tuxedo. Whether you’re heading to a sophisticated fête or just a dinner with friends, follow these grooming tips to snag this A-list couple’s style.
10 Awesome Parties To Celebrate Benefit’s Fakeup Concealer
We’re head over heels for Benefit’s new Fakeup under eye concealer, which covers dark circles like a dream and hydrates skin for up to six hours. We wanted to spread the good word to our customers, so this past week we teamed up with Benefit and hosted events over two days at the brand’s boutiques in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Connecticut. Those who attended were treated to a complimentary brow service, a $35 Benefit gift card, yummy treats and bubbly, and an exclusive Birchbox + Benefit gift box. Instead of telling you how much fun we had, we thought we’d show you how it went instead! Check out some of the supercute pics our subscribers took on Instagram:
1. @bradyjcrews, Birchbox Benefit Fakeup Event!! @birchbox @benefitcosmetics #fakeup@erikah9999 @korianni (New York)
2. @botanicole21: @birchbox @benefitbeauty testing products at benefit with Clara! #fakeup #santamonica (Los Angeles)
3. @lianhua: Makin’ ourselves purdy with @benefitbeauty and @birchbox at the #FakeUpparty! (San Francisco)
4. @katiawb: I just bought more makeup… I couldn’t help it!! cc @birchbox @benefitcosmetics #fakeup (Our co-founder in New York)
5. @missmtvtalent: Had so much fun tonight with @loveshopaholic @benefitcosmetics @birchbox #fakeup #perfecteyebrows #friends (Los Angeles)
6. @loveforlacquer: Poppin champagne at the @birchbox @benefitcosmetics event! #birchbox #benefit #benefitcosmetics #fakeup #loveforlacquer #event (Connecticut)
7. @mehlers: @birchbox @benefitcosmetics #fakeup event #greenwich with my #gorgeousgf @sarahreichard #champagne #shopping (Connecticut)
8. @lyanow: $45 ticket got me an amazing brow wax, $35 benefit gift card (used to score some #fakeup and fine one one for cheeks & lips), bubbles&cake pops, AND a bonus birchbox/benefit box? today is the best day ever. (Chicago)
10. @sharleeenie: Birchbox + Benefit Fakeup event. @itzteenstaa (San Francisco)
Another Benefit product we love: Fine One One.
Public service announcement: Next Tuesday and Wednesday we’ll be throwing a few awesome events with Benefit—and we want to meet you! If you’re in LA or Connecticut, swing by the locations listed below for some serious treats including a complimentary brow shaping courtesy of Benefit’s experts, delicious libations, and a special Benefit + Birchbox gift box. Click the links below to RSVP for the events and come say hi!
Don’t worry! Even if you can’t make it to the events, you can still score your very own Fakeup in the Birchbox Shop.
Many people are obsessed with beauty. A few go on to become professional makeup artists. Some become YouTube sensations. And others? They go all the way to the top.
Alison Haljun started as a receptionist at a law firm in Beverly Hills, and quickly realized that her passion wasn’t in entertainment law, but beauty. Deciding to change her life, Alison began blindly sending out her resume to makeup companies all over California and didn’t rest until she got hired. Benefit took notice of her many calls and e-mails and gave her a shot. Now she’s risen through the ranks to become Vice President of Retail Marketing and PR.
She gave us an inside peek at what it’s really like to have one of the coolest jobs in the beauty industry. Find out more in our one-on-one interview with Benefit’s Alison Haljun.
Do you know the cheeky origins behind Benefit’s Benetint? Find out here.
The Quintessential Spring Fashion and Beauty Look
Spring and summer are my happiest times of year because I can wear my favorite clothes. (Note: I am an u-g-l-y cold weather dresser—I spend the entirety of the winter bundled in a rather unflattering Patagonia puffer.) With warm days just around the corner—fingers crossed—I am ready to shed my un-chic layers and embrace my most beloved trend of the season: chambray.
I’ve spent a lot of time in the Madewell store recently (everyone on Birchbox’s mailing list got a $25 off $75+ and I took full advantage) and as a result, I’m really inspired to layer denim on denim—on denim! If you and I happen to have my same taste, then you’re in luck: I’ve shopped out my fave Madewell look from head to toe.
- Jean Vest: There’s something really badass about a shrunken denim vest. It adds edge to even the girliest of outfits and is just as great over long sleeves as it is over tank tops.
- Perfect Chambray Ex-boyfriend Shirt: The loose fit and light wash make this a versatile essential.
- Skinny Skinny Ankle Jean in Black Frost Wash: If you don’t have a great pair of slim-fit black denim in your closet, run (don’t walk) and pick up a pair stat. These go with everything.
Want more tips on how to look like a Madewell girl? Watch our video!
Los Angeles native and USC student Sophie Elkus is a self-described fashion addict. Her blog Angel Food Style is where her joy for putting together the perfect outfit comes to life. And you would think that her fabulous dress sense must come second to her studies, but Sophie proves that having a full schedule doesn’t mean sacrificing style. This week, she’s sharing her favorite beauty and fashion tips for women on-the-go with us on our blog.
Classes at 8AM are rough. Period. You must be an early riser to make it to one on time, and even once you’re there, it can be a real struggle. When the alarm goes off, the last thing you need to think about is your outfit and makeup. That’s why I’ve chosen my favorite time-saving essentials to speed up your morning. You may even have a spare minute for Starbucks!
1. Dry Shampoo
Dry shampoo will save you an hour—literally. Why bother washing and drying your hair when you can lightly spray, fluff, and leave?
It only takes a couple minutes, but mascara makes a huge difference in convincing the world that you’re actually awake. (Disclaimer: It’s worth it to apply slowly. Nothing good comes from sleep deprivation mixed with pointy objects near your eye.)
(Photo: FameFlynet Pictures, NBC)
Drew Barrymore recently stopped by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon to chat about her beauty line and life as a new mom—but we were too busy ogling Ms. Barrymore’s adorable spring look (for an up close view, check out the video below) to hear everything she was saying. The actress sported an adorable weekend look combo of pretty pink lips, bouncy waves fastened in a high ponytail, and fetching foral-print jeans. Here’s how to recreate her look just in time for Saturday brunch:
Step 1: You won’t find a single blemish on Drew’s flawless complexion. Before applying your go-to complexion perfectors, prep your skin with a mattifier like MAKE’s Face Primer SPF 30.