We know you don’t have oodles of time to browse through everything on the Birchbox blog and in the magazine each week. Here’s a short list of the top blog posts, articles, videos, and news that we don’t want you to miss.
1. Birchbox Goes Mobile: You heard right. Finally, you can carry Birchbox in your pocket, courtesy of our new, easily customizable iPhone app. Go ahead, tap away!
2. 6 Must-Know Beauty Facts: Did you know that the Clarisonic origin story ties back to NASA? Check out these six baffling beauty facts compiled by our UK team—these will definitely make for optimal cocktail chatter.
3. BBC Reporter Gets Airbrushed: What does it feel like to get all of your imperfections erased virtually? Surprisingly, not that great.
4. Bowing Down to Queen B: It’s no secret we’re big Beyonce fans here at Birchbox (ahem). Inspired by her superfan Chris Koo’s video love letter to “Crazy in Love,” we “count down” our favorite Bey-inspired tributes.
5. 5 Blushing Brides: Our friends at Lover.ly were tickled pink by the romantic, rose-colored gown trend seen at Bridal Fashion Week.
Get a text with the download link for the Birchbox app sent straight to your phone!
We know airbrushing is a reality. The models and celebs we see on the covers of our favorite magazines are almost always Photoshopped to achieve the insane level of perfection that has become standard.
While the debate continues (Are we teaching teenage girls to strive for something impossible? Is it right to idolize this kind of beauty? How much airbrushing is too much?), one BBC reporter, Tulip Mazumdar, wanted to know what it felt like to be the one having her imperfections erased virtually.
Mary-Kate and Ashley, and Ashley and Mary-Kate photos via Fashionista.com
We’re (almost) all settled in to our new office digs after moving just last night and luckily we’ve had a chance to brush up on our reading while unpacking. Here’s what has caught our eye this week:
- Moving has us all on a bit of a DIY kick—let’s get crafty! This Monday The Coveteur profiled the queen of DIY, P.S. I Made This’ Erica Domasek. We had a blast interviewing Erica ourselves a few months back, so seeing her digs was a real treat.
- In fashion news, there’s been a real shakeup at Halston. Yesterday WWD confirmed rumors that first Sarah Jessica Parker and then Harvey Weinstein were severing ties with the company. You may remember that SJP has been the president and chief creative officer of Halston Heritage (the more affordable branch of the line) for little more than a year while Weinstein has had an equity stake, but little actual involvement for several years. Now, this morning we’ve just heard that designer Marios Schwab is out as creative director for the brand and there won’t be a spring 2012 collection. The label’s future certainly seems to be up in the air at this moment so we’ll be keeping an eye on wwd throughout the weekend.
- Lately, golden makeup seems to be having a real moment. We’re calling it a new neutral and it’s our go-to hue when we need some glow. WhoWhatWear’s beauty board has some more ideas on how to wear it.
- We don’t often find tons of television programs that delve into the beauty industry. That’s why we were so excited to see BellaSugar’s article about the BBC’s new miniseries called Perfume. The show takes an in-depth look at the multibillion-dollar fragrance industry and we can guarantee you’ll learn something new.
Try out some of our favorite “get glowy” products from July’s Birchbox, curated by Cynthia Rowley, and available now in the shop!