Kara Manos of Politics of Pretty has been obsessed with everything beauty since she was a girl—which has made her an epic resource as a grownup. We love Kara’s savvy coverage of beauty trends and news, which is why we had to find out her best tips for an everyday routine: shaving.
Just because cooler temperatures are right around the corner doesn’t mean it’s time to start avoiding a date with your razor! Here are seven top-notch tips and tricks when it comes to achieving smooth (not stubbly) skin.
- More blades can cause more pain. A five-blade razor can be precise, but be wary of this option since it can cut hair down to a subdermal layer, and if you have sensitive skin, you’re at greater risk of getting ingrown hairs and razor burn. I’ve always had a solid shave with Bic Soleil Disposables (not to mention it’s a great budget buy!).
- Never shave your legs dry. Trust me, I’ve always paid the price for those quick-fixes. Shaving is a natural exfoliator and dry shaving can lead to clogging up the razor with dead skin and puts you at risk for nicks and razor burn. Ouch!
- Opt for sensitive-skin shaving cream formulas. Read the label. If alcohol or fragrance is one of the first three ingredients listed, avoid it. I discovered whish Shave Cream in my Birchbox and it completely changed my shaving routine. My legs can’t live without it!
- When it comes to your underarms, use your razor in up, down, side-to-side, and diagonal motions. (The perfectionist in me totally forgets this rule sometimes.)
- After you shave, lotion up. Anti-inflammatory ingredients calm skin and won’t leave you with the urge to itch. Kiehl’s Crème de Corps is a rich, buttery, non-greasy moisturizer that soothes any and all razor burn post-shave.
- Remember to change your razor blade—often. It’s hard to put an expiration date on a razor but depending on how often you shave (and how coarse your hair is) you’ll notice it’s time to ditch it when the blade gets dull, which can lead to more nicks and cuts.
Now that you’ve got the perfect shave, make your razor last longer!