After a 15-hour train ride and lugging my three overstuffed suitcases up to my studio apartment, I’m proud to say that I’ve been a New Yorker for about one week. As an Ohioan and Midwesterner, ditching fields of corn and my Jeep for skyscrapers and the subway required some selective packing decisions—especially in the beauty department. Here’s a list of the essentials I couldn’t tackle big city life without:
1. Boo-Boo Coverup Concealer: I’m a constant victim of stress acne , so when the hustle and bustle of the city makes my skin revolt, this cream hides and heals blemishes. Win-win.
2. Dreams Nail Lacquer in Starry Night: I have a packed schedule with work, class, exercise and everything in between, but I still make time to apply a fresh coat of polish every week. Right now, I’m loving this sparkly hue, which has a dark twinkling mix of black specks, silver glitter, and holographic flakes.
3. Frais Hand Sanitizer: Between jostling for a spot on the subway, meeting new people, and navigating packed streets, I encounter a lot of germs throughout the day. Thankfully, after a quick squirt with this gentle germ-fighter I hop off the 1 train with clean, moisturized mitts.
4. TIGI Catwalk Finishing Spray: When you have to walk everywhere or use public transit in humid hot weather, frizz and flyaways can be a problem. This spray gives flexible hold and tames my mane, so I get that model wind-blowing-through-my-hair look every time.
5. Willa Lavender Facial Towelettes: Although these hydrating towelettes are formulated for young skin, you don’t have to be a teeny-bopper to appreciate a quick, easy and super-gentle cleanser. When I finally make it back to my apartment, these help me take off the day (or night). Plus, the sweet lavender scent helps me unwind.
6. CAILYN Gel Eyeliner: A city this dramatic calls for equally dramatic eye makeup. This rich liner lets me effortlessly pull off all the bold looks I used to dream about in magazines.