I can hardly believe it, but this weekend I’m headed to sunny southern California to celebrate my college roommate’s big day. In a perfect reflection of her personality, Tammy’s wedding will be easy-going (hello, beautiful vineyard), understated, and charmingly romantic (make-your-own candy bag stations!).
Aside from the ceremony, my trip will be all laid-back California style and lush winery backdrops, so I’m packing long-lasting makeup formulas to survive the 90-degree heat and comfy-yet-presentable duds for any vino-tasting detours.
1. Striped Maxi Dress: There is nothing more comfortable, and flattering, than a maxi dress with flat sandals when I’m traveling—and it’s the perfect recovery outfit after a night in a fitted dress and high heels.
2. Ray-Ban Aviators: It’s summer and it’s southern California. I would not be a true Californian if I didn’t have an adequate pair of sunnies on hand to protect my eyes, and these are a classic.
3. Gorjana Taner Bar Necklace: Since almost everything that I’ve packed besides my dress for the wedding and go-to maxi is SoCal casual—think shorts and flowy tanks—I’m adding a little sophistication to my outfits with this delicate gold bar.
4. Dr. Jart Pore Penetrator: Typically, I have an oily complexion, which means that my pores feel extra gross and clogged during the summer. The morning of the ceremony, I’m going to do this quick five-minute treatment to clear out all the impurities and shrink the appearance of those pores.
5. Supergoop! City Sunscreen Serum, Travel Size: I am the worst at putting on extra sunscreen on my face that doesn’t come from makeup (shh! Don’t tell Meredith!). But this serum means I get my moisturizer and sunscreen in one go, plus it boasts the extra benefit of mattifying my skin.
6. TheBalm Instain in Argyle: I’ve recently discovered that much though I love cream blush, it usually slides off my face about half an hour after I apply it. This powder formula actually acts like a stain, so it’ll really stay put even while hiking from winery to winery.
7. stila stay all day liquid liner: My go-to look these days has been a low-key cat eye (a kitten eye, if you will). Especially since the dress I’m going to wear for the wedding is extra bright, I’m keeping my eye look more subdued—and this formula thankfully reallys stay put, no matter how oily my eyelids get.
Need more ideas for what to pack? Check out the travel essentials that three other Birchbox staffers are stashing in their carry-ons.