While we adore video tutorials, sometimes we need a quick step-by-step that we can move through at our own pace. Enter: gif tutorials. Like videos, they make it easy for us to imitate the motions, but we don’t have to press pause every time we need to see a difficult step again. Plus, aren’t they just more fun to watch? We’re introducing a new series of beauty gif tutorials that teach you how to get our favorite looks—from braids to cat eyes—in simple, animated ways.
For our first tutorial, editor Meredith shows you how to do an adorable and oh-so-simple milkmaid braid. (Trust us—it’s easier than you think!) Read on to see what products you’ll need and learn how to get this chic summer look in just eight steps.
Products You’ll Need
- A strong-hold hairspray (we’re partial to Kérastase!)
- 2 clear hair elastics
- Several bobby pins
- A comb or brush with a thin handle
1. Part unwashed hair down middle. If you have a difficult time keeping the two sections separated, loosely tie off one side in a low ponytail to keep it out of the way for the next step.
2. On one side, begin a braid just behind the lower part of your ear.
3. Ensure the braid is tight with minimal flyaways and tie with a clear elastic.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 on the opposite side and enjoy your brief time as Pippi Longstocking.
5. Next, pull the first braid over the crown of your head—along where you would place a headband—and secure with bobby pins. You may need to strategically place several of pins along the length of the braid to keep it from falling down.
6. Do the same on the other side and try to keep the same angle so that the two braids “run into” each other to create a slight “x” on the top of your head. Don’t worry about the dangling ends for now—we’ll hide those soon enough!
7. Next, very carefully begin to tuck the ends under the opposite braid without disrupting the braid’s placement on the head. For the best results, place one end in the front and the other in the back of the crown like the above gif. Secure with bobby pins and adjust any loose stands that may have fallen out until every hair is in place.
8. Ta-da! Finish off with some hairspray and this versatile updo will work for a casual Sunday brunch and even your next summer wedding.
What gif tutorial would you guys like to see next?
Need more summer hair inspiration? Look no further than these four looks from pro stylist Jeff Chastain.