We spend hours tending to our skin, and can panic at the sight of the faintest fine line. Yet until recently, we’ve never stopped to consider what happens to our hair as we get older. Not to add another item to your worry agenda, but it turns out that hair also goes through a host of changes with time. We got the scoop from Andre Puleo, the Technical Brand Manager of Research and Development for Nexxus. Here are the top five facts you need to know about aging hair:
- A baby has about 1,110 hair follicles per square cm. By the time they turn 25, this is cut down to about 600 follicles, and between the ages of 30 and 50 this number drops to roughly 250-300 follicles per square cm.
- As women age, hair takes on a thinner, finer texture. Due to coloring and styling over the years, hair loses its softness and shine, and becomes increasingly coarse over time.
- With age, the shape of each hair follicle also changes to become more irregular. This makes hair wirier and harder to style.
- Genetic factors are largely responsible for hair loss and graying. These are the most common changes that occur as women get older, which are often impacted by hereditary traits.
- Hormonal changes that occur during both pregnancy and menopause also impact hair. Typically, these events are associated with reduced sebum production, resulting in frizzier, duller hair.
Luckily, there’s no need to panic. The anti-aging trend has made its way to haircare, and now products are popping up left and right that are designed to lessen (if not halt) the effects of genes, hormones, and the march of time. Puleo recommends adding a leave-in treatment, like the Nexxus Youth Renewal Rejuvenating Elixir, to your daily regimen. Made with omega-3 fatty acids, keratin (the protein building block of hair), argan oil, and vitamin E, it reduces breakage, which means fuller, healthier locks. We also love using it as a spot frizz treatment and heat protector before blowdrying.
Even better? Some of you will be getting it in this month’s Birchbox, so be on the lookout! After all, it’s never too late (or too early) to start taking care of the only accessory you were born with, right?
Check the Birchbox Shop for a selection of our favorite hair helpers.