I wouldn’t trade New York for any other city, but right about this time of year I start to miss the ocean like whoa. I’m headed to Hawaii this week to visit family and get my fix of palm trees, sand, and spam musubi. (Not kidding—don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.) Here’s what I’m packing for my tropical escape.
1. La Fresh Oil-Free Face Cleanser: I’m a big proponent of face wipes, both at work (key when product-testing) and when traveling. These hydrating wipes have both aloe vera and vitamin E—they’ll come in handy on the 12-hour flight as well as any beach adventures.
2. J. Crew Pleated Shorts in Teal: These pleated shorts look like something you’d wear to play tennis in Vero Beach—and I mean that in the best way possible. I saw them in the store and had to have them, despite the fact that it was 32 degrees at the time.
3. Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Earlier this year, this New York Times love letter/book review to George Saunders sent me on a short stories binge. Next on my reading list: Karen Russell’s new collection, which promises the same enchanting magic-realism of her award-winning Swamplandia.
4. Coola LipLux SPF 30: Lips can burn and I learned that the hard way. This balm feels rich and, most importantly, doesn’t taste like sunscreen. I also dab a bit on the tops of my ears when I’m in the sun for a long time. (Those burn too; also learned the hard way.)
5. Supergoop!® Endless Summer SPF 30+ Everyday UV Lotion: My tan comes from a bottle (or, rather, these Comodynes Self-Tanning Wipes). I’ll be wearing Supergoop!’s completely non-goopy, paraben-free formula daily.
6. Dr. Jart Black Label Detox BB Cream: BB Creams are my kind of product: multitasking, finger-friendly, and effective. This particular formula has a matte finish, which is perfect for tropical weather and built-in antiaging ingredients and SPF.
7. Of a Kind Candy Clutch by Kindah Khalidy: There’s only one word for this dreamy creation: SQUEE. Hand-painted by (genius) designer Kindah Khalindy, it’s the perfect size for essentials like sunglasses, lipbalm, and iPhone.
8. Number 4 Hair Super Comb Prep & Protect: Sun! Surf! Tangles! I don’t plan on doing any blowdrying while I am away but I will be relying on this leave-in to keep things snarl-free and soft.
LA FRESH® specializes in portable beauty essentials that come in single serving packages and are made with natural formulas derived from plants.