Have you guys seen this crazy YouTube video of a dad using a vacuum cleaner to give his daughter a perfect ponytail? While we don’t recommend using handheld suction devices to style your hair (no, not even with a Flowbee), it did get us thinking about non-hazardous ways to tame misbehaving strands in a pinch. Sure, we can always fall back on a basic pony, but there are legions of impressive ‘dos that can be done in minutes—and that don’t require a nearby power source. Read on for five of our all-time favorites, as explained by Birchbox staffers and pro stylists.
- Holiday party season may be (sadly) over, but this festive updo is one of our standbys year-round. The clincher? It takes less than five minutes (even if you have clumsy fingers).
- This sideswept topsy tail is polished enough for a day in the office yet sophisticated enough for a night out: just add a flouncy top and slim jeans. It works for medium-to-long hair of all textures.
- What do we do on laundry day when we wind up with a pile of lonely mismatched socks? Duh—we use them to create easy breezy sock buns.
- If you’re suffering from braid fatigue, try this brilliant side-twist. It’s a casual style that looks best when loose and slightly undone, so calm your inner perfectionist.
- For all the lazy girls out there (don’t worry, that’s us 99 percent of the time), there’s no simpler way to switch up your look than with a deep side part.
Find more hair inspiration in the archives of the Birchbox Magazine.