We fell hard for Natalie Alcala last fall, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
TGIF! Now that you’ve nailed nabbing some super unique gifts for your loved ones, it’s time to get crafty. Whether you’re throwing a holiday party this season or simply want to spruce up your digs, here are some great DIY projects to test drive this weekend.
1. Customize your wrapping paper. I’ve always loved the idea of stamped wrapping paper. For the advanced craftster, Erin Dollar of Cotton & Flax encourages you to carve your own stamps using one block of soft printmaking linoleum, carving tools, and a steady hand. If you’re not quite ready for that, Pinterest confirms that store-bought stamps work just as well.
2. Create a succulent wreath. Brought to you by the team behind LA’s go-to Pressed Juicery, The Chalkboard blog features a great blend of health, food, style and home inspiration. They also occasionally feature stellar DIY ideas, like this eco-friendly play on a classic holiday décor essential.
3. Frame a scarf. Have you seen the prints on vintage scarves? They’re pretty much wrap-worthy works of art. I really love this idea from Geneva Vanderzeil of A Pair and a Spare. The Aussie-born, Hong Kong-based blogger offers a sweet way to showcase the vibrant flea market conquests that I never get around to wearing.
4. Create a wax seal. There’s nothing better than receiving a crafted card via snail mail. Instead of running to your local Duane Reade for a quick bargain box of holiday cards (or—gasp!—blasting out a hasty e-card), go old-school and spend time preparing thoughtful, handmade messages for your friends and family. HonestlyWTF's DIY wax seal is a perfect touch.
5. Set up your home bar. LEAF founder Geri Hirsch of Because I’m Addicted always nails it when it comes to the DIY game, but this how-to is on another level. Instead of scrambling at the liquor store the day of your holiday party, follow these six easy steps to curate an ultra chic home bar ahead of time. Cheers!
Looking for more fun home inspiration? Stop by Birchbox’s Home pop-up shop here.