We fell hard for Natalie Alcala last fall, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
(Photo: The Fancy)
We’ve been talking about it a lot lately, but only because it’s so true! Finding holiday gifts for your friends is always a stressful process. Do you go for the foolproof item on his or her wish list, or do you leave that up to their family and instead scour for out-of- the-box items that they didn’t even know existed? Oftentimes, I veer toward the latter, simply because it’s more fun. Thanks to the wondrous World Wide Web, there are a slew of sites that offer inventive giftables in a range of categories—including beauty. Here are some of my current favorites.
1. MacBook Air Compact Mirror ($5.29): There is only one word to describe this item, and that word is GENIUS. I would give this to a tech-savvy pal that couldn’t bear to break away from their iEverything to check if there’s lipstick on their teeth.
2. Japonesque Safari Collection Makeup Brushes ($30): Who says animal print is limited to apparel? A set of super-soft safari-inspired makeup brushes is the easiest and chicest way to spruce up your beauty arsenal.
4. Chantecaille Papillons Eye Shade ($39): This shadow palette doubles as a work of art. I’d definitely gift this to one of my art gallery-hopping homies.
5. Faux Black Diamond Lashes ($12): If you’re going to wear false eyelashes, why not go for bold? These showstoppers feature lightly crisscrossed lashes embedded with tiny black diamantes.
6. Pear Wood Cosmetic Makeup Organizer ($130): Made in Vienna, Austria, this gorgeous makeup organizer is ideal for the minimalist makeup hoarder. I love the clean design and the fact that the wood actually comes from a grand pear tree that has been growing in the designer’s family’s orchard for over 100 years.
7. Demeter Fragrance Library - New Zealand ($20): Believe it or not, I discovered this brand at the crazy-fancy Walgreens flagship store that just opened in Hollywood—you can check out my Racked LA coverage on it here. From Baby Powder to Jelly Belly, Demeter offers an array of unusual scents that instantly trigger a sense of nostalgia. New Zealand is a bestseller and features “notes of plant leaves, barks, grass, snow, ocean, river and stone.”
In dire need of more potential presents? Here’s our guide to the best gift ideas at any price.