Get access to the newest and best products from high end beauty, lifestyle and grooming brands.

Scroll to Info & Navigation

5 Questions for…Susan Nethero, Founder of Intimacy

After years of observing friends, family members, colleagues, and total strangers wearing poorly fitted bras, Susan Nethero took matters into her own hands. Twenty years ago, she founded intimacy in order to provide women of all cup sizes with the holy grail of lingerie: the perfect fitting bra. 

After training under the Queen of England’s royal bra fitter, June Kenton, Susan pioneered her own holistic bra-fitting technique that forgoes the tape measure. Next on her list: a retail business centered around intimacy’s famous “bra banks,” which has over 90 bra sizes ranging from A to K cups. Nethero’s bra revolution has been featured on countless TV programs, and Oprah has even declared her “the best cleavage cop in the business.” 

We caught up with Nethero to learn what to look for when shopping for a new bra.

-What are the most common misconceptions about bras and bra fittings?

Most women think the support they get from a bra comes from the straps. In fact, 90% of the support should come from your bra band, and only the remaining 10% should come from your straps. No kidding! Most women associate looseness with comfort, but that is actually the most common cause of poor bra fit. When bands are too loose, the back of the bra rises up, causing breasts to sag. This “see-saw” effect can also emphasize what every woman wants to hide: unsightly back fat. Finding the right fit will eliminate the appearance of back fat and end discomfort, meaning you can stop fidgeting with your bra all day. Your underwire will stop poking, your breasts will stop over- (or under-) filling your cups, and your bra straps will stop falling down. Plus, you’ll look and feel better in your clothes. 

-How many different bras does a woman need, at minimum?

Every bra wardrobe should start off with at least 6-8 bras. First, you’ll need two basic bras in your skin tone to wear under t-shirts. Accommodate any tricky neckline with a good strapless or convertible bra that gives you options for halter, racerback, and one shoulder looks. And let’s not forget 2-4 fashion bras: a cleavage-enhancing plunge, a date-night demi bra, and something with fun straps to coordinate and add excitement to any outfit.

-How often do you need to get fitted?

On average, a woman’s body will change shape, size, and distribution six times throughout her life, and your bra size will change right along with it. So it’s a good idea to be fitted for a bra often. Twice a year is a good place to start. And more than that if your weight fluctuates, you begin any kind of hormone therapy or birth control regimen, or if you start a new exercise routine.

Plus, every season, clothing designers come out with different trends, styles, and colors to reinvigorate your closet. Lingerie designers are no different. In fact, the best lingerie brands follow trends at major fashion houses to ensure your lingerie always matches your outerwear. 

-Bra pet peeve?

Falling straps! That’s a red flag that you’re not wearing the proper bra size. 

-How do you feel about shapewear? Do you need to get fitted for that too?

I love shapewear! Shapewear is the ultimate tool for feeling feminine in those sleek, form-fitting outfits. In fact, I wear shapewear nearly every day. You should certainly get fitted for shapewear, especially if you’ve never worn it before. Once you feel how it should fit properly, it will be easier for you to pick out your own shapewear in the future.

—Hallie

Stop wandering bra straps from peeking out by grabbing a pack of ShowStoppers Designer Fashion Tape.


Recent comments

Blog comments powered by Disqus