JolieBox co-founder Mathilde Lacombe. Yes, we have a ginormous girl crush on her.
Last week, we spilled the beans about our international expansion and our acquisition of JolieBox. Today, we’re introducing you to Mathilde Lacombe, the company’s co-founder and editorial director. Mathilde began as a beauty blogger and Elle reporter before starting JolieBox with four friends. She says, “I’m a complete beauty addict! I love discovering new brands and trends and learning other girls’ beauty habits.” Hmm…we think Mathilde and her crew will fit in perfectly at the Birchbox offices. The 24-year-old editor now oversees JolieBox’s editorial and marketing teams in the UK, France, and Spain—and recently got married! We’ll be adding periodic dispatches from Mathilde and her editors soon—for now, here’s a little bit about her!
When did you start blogging about beauty?
In 2009, I was an intern looking for a job in beauty writing and since I didn’t have any network in the business, I thought a blog could be sort of a resume to show people that I truly was a beauty and writing addict! I created La Vie en Blonde and it quickly became one of the top three beauty blogs in France. I got a job at Elle, so I guess it worked!
What are your all-time favorite products?
- Aesop Gel Control: Perfect to get rid of spots before they even show up!
- Redken All Soft Range: To make my hair shiny. Plus, it smells so good.
- Weleda Body Oils: They’re amazing and make my skin baby soft!
- Avène hydrating and soothing mask and Avène Thermal Water Spray
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer: I do not wear a lot of makeup but I do like a flawless face that looks natural. This one is a keeper!
- Korres Lip Balm: The only downside? The packaging—a tube would be much more hygienic than a little pot.
- essie nailpolishes: I think I have around 50 of them, mostly nude, light pinks, bordeaux etc… It makes my husband crazy that I keep buying them because to him they all look the same!
What brands or products have you discovered through your work at JolieBox?
Dr Hauschka! In my mind, it was an old, not so glamorous brand, but I’m now a huge fan of their Light Rose Day Cream. It’s the perfect moisturizer for my sensitive skin. I also love their body lotion.
Favorite French beauty brands or French beauty shops?
I like Caudalie a lot, especially their handcream and perfumes!
American product you wish you could get overseas?
So many brands…Kate Somerville, Stila, Boscia, Fresh, CLEAN perfumes…As a result I shop online a lot! My obsession at the moment is Koh Gen Do foundation.
Besides the baguettes, macarons, and fabulous fashion, we love French skincare. Check out some of our favorite brands!