We fell hard for Natalie Alcala last fall, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
Remember that amazing old school rose-scented shampoo by Herbal Essences that we were reminiscing about in this post? It still exists! Those who left a comment noting that the scent is now in the color protection formula were absolutely right. It’s the Color Me Happy product and you can buy it here. Thanks again, guys! Our next step is to persuade the brand to turn it into a body spray.
And speaking of heavenly scents, I’m curious to know how many of you purchase shampoos and conditioners simply because they smell good versus how good they are for your hair. For instance, I love, love, love Herbal’s scents, but I rarely use their products since they contain some not-so-good-for-your-hair ingredients like methylchloroisothiazolinone (try saying that word ten times fast). However, it doesn’t stop me from purchasing it simply for smelling purposes.
With that said, here’s a roundup of some guilt-free hair care products that I’m known to take a gratuitous whiff of on a frequent basis. Drop me a line in the comments if you use any of these or have other organic/natural recommendations.
1. Organix Shampoo Nourishing Coconut Milk ($6.99): This is a mainstay in my shower. I’m a hardcore coconut enthusiast, so it takes a lot of willpower for me not to eat this stuff. The best part is that it leaves your hair smelling delicious all day long.
2. The Body Shop Rainforest Balance Shampoo ($14): If you have oily hair, this is a godsend. The clean and natural scent takes me back to my family camping days (minus the mosquitos).
3. Lulu Organics Lavender + Clary Sage Hair Powder ($30): Since I have bangs, I love a good hair powder. This one is eco-conscious, residue-free, and smells like a dream.
4. amika Obliphica Hair Treatment ($34): Finally, an oil that doesn’t make your hair oily! This product is a de-frizz wiz and is known for charming even the most hard-to-please noses.
5. Burt’s Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo ($6): Rumor has it that this guys is about to be discontinued soon (or already is), so snatch it up ASAP!
And for more of our favorite-smelling haircare products, click here!