We love surfing Heather Walczuk’s blog, Beauty Unbiased, for her smart and on-point makeup reviews, pretty photos and her upbeat insight. The resident New Yorker always has great tips for making the most out of your products, which is why we’re excited that this week she’s sharing tips about her fave summer finds, makeup-artists must-haves, and how to get a gorgeous top knot.
Few letters strike fear in my heart the way “DIY” does. As a five-year-old, I was already disillusioned by the idea of creating my own cards, friendship bracelets and the like. Basically, I have always been that bad at DIY-ing. This easy, breezy top knot was originally created by a stylist from the Butterfly Studio Salon at the Birchbox “Gossip Girl” season finale party. I loved the results so much that I stepped outside of my DIY phobia and replicated it at home.
1. Place your hair in a high ponytail.
2. Gently use the teasing brush, with a light spritz of hairspray, to brush down fly-aways or frizz and create a more polished look.
3. Tease your ponytail until you can’t tease it any more. Mine was sticking up straight on its own during this process, which created a larger knot.
4. Begin wrapping your teased hair piece by piece into a bun, placing bobby pins to secure the hair and to create the desired bun shape.
5. Finish off with a shine spray or lightweight hairspray.
Don’t miss the rest of Heather’s great advice. Here are her summer favorites and finds that you have to see.