Google alum Brit Morin is the founder of Brit & Co., an online lifestyle brand that covers tech, DIY, beauty, food…basically all our favorite things. Now she’s launched Weduary, a super-cool app that makes getting married as easy as ordering from Seamless Web. It lets couples construct a custom site in just four steps and even leverages Facebook’s social graph to help with photos, invite guests, and manage other logistical details. All week, the wedding-savvy entrepreneur will be sharing her best big day tips with us. Even if you aren’t a bride-to-be, there’s plenty to learn.
Photo: JuneBug Weddings
As you may have read yesterday, this week we are kicking off wedding season on Birchbox! What better time to celebrate than the first wedding anniversary of Will and Kate? In honor of all things weddings and beauty, today we bring to you some of our favorite recent style statistics for those gearing up for the big day:
- Jackie O’s classic style is still standing the test of time. Around 37% of brides chose Jackie O as their favorite fashion icon, beating out Sarah Jessica Parker and Angelina Jolie (who both received 29% of the vote). Madonna may call herself the Material Girl, but she came in last place with brides, receiving only 5% of votes.
- The average cost of a wedding gown is $1,289. Today’s bride is also spending another $581 on wedding day accessories, jewelry, headpieces, and veils.
- Purple is the new “it” color, with one out of five brides (about 21%) choosing it as the color theme for their wedding, a 50% increase since 2008. What shade is losing popularity with brides? Brown, which decreased by 16% since last year.
- 84% of brides wear something old, new, borrowed, and blue.
- One in two brides purchase from an independent local bridal salon, with another 29% buying from a national bridal chain.
- Close to half (45%) will box up their dress to pass it on. Another 10% will either sell their dress, give it to another bride, or refashion it to wear again.
- 61% of brides who choose a sit down dinner for their reception will also wear designer pumps on their wedding day.
- Brides who most frequently shop at TJ Maxx are three time more likely to choose Say Yes to the Dress as their favorite TV show over American Idol.
- Couples spend $582 on gifts for each other. The number one gift from a bride to groom is a watch; the number one gift from groom to bride is jewelry.
- The number one gift for bridesmaids is jewelry.