If you’re like us, you really enjoy trying new hairstyles. Whenever we need inspiration, we visit Stephanie Brinkerhoff’s creative and brilliant Utah-based blog, Hair and Makeup By Steph. Brinkerhoff is a hair genius and this week, she’s sharing all her best styling tips, from how to look like you were born with curls to creating perfect waves with your flat iron.
1. On freshly washed hair, towel dry, but DON’T brush it out. If your hair has no natural curl, brushing it will only make it more straight. Instead just shake it out or run your fingers through it.
3. Blow dry your hair with a diffuser attachment on the end. If your blow dryer didn’t come with a diffuser, you can buy universal diffusers at Sally’s that will fit any size blow dryer.
4. This is what my hair looks like after it’s diffused. Yours might be a little more curly or less curly depending on how much natural wave you have. Either way, all that matters is that it’s big and fluffy.
5. Using a 1/2 inch or 1 inch curling iron, wrap your hair around the outside of the barrel instead of clamping it in. This will create a looser wave. You can curl towards your face or away from it.
6. This is about how curly I do each of my curls. You don’t want it too curly or it will look unnatural.
7. This is what it looks like after I curl the whole thing. Since I do have a little natural curl, I didn’t have to work on every piece of hair on my head, but if you have no curl at all, you might have to style your whole head.
8. After it’s all curled, use a pick to gently comb it out and fluff it up. Make sure nothing looks crunchy or stiff.
Looking for a nighttime hairstyle that’s perfect for events? Check out our how-to on Hollywood glam waves.