We fell hard for Natalie Alcala last fall, when the LA-based writer and blogger spent a week guest blogging for us. In fact, we loved her posts so much that we asked her to be a contributing editor. In addition to blogging for us once a week, she’ll also be writing for the Birchbox Magazine and keeping us up to speed on all things fashion, beauty, and fun.
New York Fashion Week officially kicked off today, which means that for the next few days, I will live and breath runways, presentations, and parties. While it sounds like fun, the actual legwork involved requires tons of energy, which is why one must pack light and smart in order to keep up. Through trial and error, I’ve finally managed to round up a dream team of no-fail, transition-friendly beauty products that fit inside my smallest of bags, like this adorable mini crossbody by Jason Wu.
1. Almay Oil-Free Makeup Eraser Sticks ($5.49): On-the-go fashion and beauty insiders like Emily Weiss of Into the Gloss swear by these little swabs of joy. If my eyeliner ever so slightly smudges midday, I simply bust out one of these babies, snap the stick to release fluid, and touch-up as needed. They’re fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, and super inexpensive, to boot.
2. Herban Essentials Orange Towelettes ($15): When you’re dashing between Lincoln Center and Milk Studios multiple times a day, you’re bound to touch a dirty cab door or two. These all-natural towelettes satisfy my inner germaphobe like no other, and I love that they’re compact enough to throw into tiny clutches.
3. Smashbox Limitless Eye Liner in Onyx ($19): I’ve been rocking the cat-eye since high school, so it’s safe to say that I’ve tested my fair share of black eye liners. My three biggest issues with what’s on the market these days are that they: 1) tug at your skin when applying, 2) aren’t black enough, and 3) smudge like crazy. After years of searching far and wide, I’ve finally found my favorite black, which I coincidentally discovered at a Birchbox event last year! Although it lasts all day, I like to tote it with me in case I want to wing out my cat-eye further for night.
4. Hurraw! Tinted Lip Balm in Black Cherry ($3.79): I came across this lip balm at a Pose party and have been hooked on it ever since. I love that it’s 100% vegan and made from premium raw ingredients. This brand has tons of shades, but I adore the subtle cherry hue because it adds just the right amount of natural color and moisture. It’s also an essential companion to my beloved Ruby Woo (see #5).
5. MAC Lipstick in Ruby Woo ($14.50): Lisa Mayock of cult fashion label Vena Cava first turned me onto this shade when she called it Robert Palmer Red. A bold red lip really does wonders for your appearance when you’re dragging—it’s like the makeup equivalent to caffeine. It can also instantly transition your look from day to night. Because this lipstick goes on matte, hydrate your lips with lip balm before applying.
6. Jurlique Rose Hand Cream ($25): With all the blogging, texting, tweeting, and Instagraming I’ll be doing during and in-between fashion shows, keeping my overactive hands moisturized is everything. I love that Jurlique uses organic ingredients like macadamia oil and carrot extract root to ward off dryness without irritating skin. Plus, it smells really, really good.