You may have noticed that here at Birchbox, we have a deep, abiding love for all things nails. Which is why nail artist extraordinaire Taryn Multack, a.k.a Miss Ladyfinger, is a great fit as this week’s guest blogger. Multack, who’s spent time working at fashion staples like Oscar de la Renta and W Magazine, uses trends and looks straight from the runway to create gorgeous, imaginative designs for her digits. The most impressive part? She does all of her art while keeping a day job in the fashion world. This week, she teaches us how to make our nails just as fabulous as hers.
The year is winding down and travel season is under way. Whether you’re headed somewhere warm, or claiming real estate next to the fireplace at home, I’ve got the perfect nail art for you. Jill Stuart’s opening look from her spring 2012 line is the a great hybrid design: it hints at spring with a fun Palm Springs motif, yet it’s totally holiday appropriate with its festive red hue. For this advanced tutorial, I used a nail art brush with Choco-Latte by Sally Hansen and Lollipop by Essie.
Click through for a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this Jill Stuart look yourself.
1. Prep your nail with base coat.
2. Apply your nude color to your whole nail.
3. Draw a V at the bottom of your nail using a nail art brush dipped in red polish.
4. Using the photo as a guide, outline a palm tree motif on one half of the nail.
5. Mirror the same design on the other half of the nail.
6. Fill in the design with red.
7. Top off with Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat and you’re all set! Gorgeous Jill Stuart nails ready for a night out on the town.
In the mood for another shade of eye-popping red? Try this polish by Deborah Lippmann.