You may have noticed that here at Birchbox, we have a deep, abiding love for all things nails. Which is why nail artist extraordinaire Taryn Multack, a.k.a Miss Ladyfinger, is a great fit as this week’s guest blogger. Multack, who’s spent time working at fashion staples like Oscar de la Renta and W Magazine, uses trends and looks straight from the runway to create gorgeous, imaginative designs for her digits. The most impressive part? She does all of her art while keeping a day job in the fashion world. This week, she teaches us how to make our nails just as fabulous as hers.
We’ve all had that moment of utter panic. You know, the one where you suddenly realize that you can’t get that ring off your finger. Or, even worse, when you go to remove the super-cute glitter polish that seemed like a good idea at the time, but now it won’t come off.
I’ve been there.
While I was thisclose to abandoning glitter polish forever, I knew deep down that there was no chance I could live without Deborah Lippman’s Across the Universe. I was in need of a serious solution. Happily, I have now found one! And I feel like it’s my duty to divulge my discovery to ladies everywhere. Here is the secret to removing glitter nail polish:
1. You’ll need an acetone nail polish remover. I recommend Zoya’s Remove Plus, which isn’t too harsh and won’t dry out your nails.
2. Super saturate a cotton ball with remover (contrary to my M&M’s habit: the more, the better in this scenario).
3. Press the cotton ball on top of your nail, squeezing the polish over the nail bed.
4. Let the cotton ball rest for a good two minutes.
5. As you remove the polish from cuticle to nail tip, apply pressure slowly to catch the glitter. Most should remove with a few swipes.
6. Continue process with each of your finger.
7. Be sure to wash off any excess remover or glitter.
8. To rehydrate your hands, I like Neutrogena’s Norwegian Formula Hand Cream. Just a dab helps replenish moisture without leaving your hands greasy.
Test out these tricks after using glitters from Zoya’s Gems and Jewels collection.