Dedicated to “what’s in your closet and on your vanity,” Samantha Fodrowski’s blog, Closet Vanity, couldn’t be more perfectly suited to our interests. This week, the busy blogger is lending us her talents and musing on some of our favorite topics like the fashion-forward red lip and au naturel makeup.
There’s a whole lot more to beauty than blushes, eye shadows, and lipsticks. Though I do occasionally apply my makeup with my fingers (who doesn’t love finger painting?), there are tools of the trade that make application, organization, and skin care so much more manageable — and fun!
1) Curled eyelashes are a must for me in the morning when I want to look awake and bright-eyed. I’m a big fan of Tarte’s purple-accented curler.
2) Another great option for pretty lashes is Shu Uemura’s curler. This gets two thumbs up from friends and makeup pros alike.
3) I haven’t had the opportunity to try a Clarisonic, but it is definitely on my holiday wish list. Not only has my dermatologist sung its praises, but so have friends and many a beauty-blogger. The the smaller Mia version is more affordable and the fact that it comes in a rainbow of colors is the icing on the cake. I’ll take the turquoise, please!
4) A groomed brow is always important and these Betsey Johnson tweezers are way more colorful and fun than my basic, boring silver pair.
5 and 6) Good makeup brushes are key to perfect application. I don’t have a proper set of brushes yet — just randoms that I’ve collected over the years — but I am seriously considering making an investment in either this collection from Bobbi Brown or this one from Laura Mercier.
7) I’ll admit to being lazy when it comes to the application of my tinted moisturizer — I usually just use my hands. But this beautyblender sponge delivers a flawless application and that’s important when using a heavier liquid foundation. No one wants lines or streaks!
8) And last but not least, to help me ensure easy access to my products, I recently purchased this acrylic organizer from the Container Store. While I think it’s pretty pricey for plastic (I bought mine when it was on sale and I still think it was too much!), I must say that it has made a big difference. I’m no longer picking through random bags and boxes of makeup searching for eyeliner. Plus, it’s a very chic and looks pretty on my bathroom countertop.