Sometimes less is more. Case in point: The Daily Obsession, a longtime favorite blog, which posts a single covetable product each day. Today we’re lucky to have Carolyn Hsu, the site’s lovely managing editor and style blogger, guest posting about her latest beauty obsession. Surprise: it’s not color.
The nude lip is universally flattering — after all it’s designed to mimic the natural color of your lips. The look is also extremely versatile; you can pair it with minimal makeup for an effortless and fresh face or with a smoky eye for red carpet drama. With nude lips, you’re on your way to a fool proof look. The trick of course, is to find the right shade for you.
First, a few tips:
1. Exfoliate and moisturize. Light lip colors have a tendency to accentuate dry flaky lips. I brush my lips with a toothbrush in the shower and then slather on my favorite moisturizing product: La Mer The Lip Balm.
2. Avoid colors that are too frosty, too pale, or too brown. Anything too frosty or pale can wash you out, leaving you looking more frozen than fresh. And unless your skin tone naturally contains a lot of color, a lipstick that’s too brown can have an aging effect.
3. Make sure you emphasize the natural color of your lip. Whether it’s finding a lipstick that mimics your natural lip pigment or using a sheer gloss, make sure you let your natural colors shine through.
Now for our favorite products:
1. Rachel Zoe Exude in Nude (of course): A cream gloss with moderate coverage and a subtle shimmer adds dimension and color.
2. Tarina Tarantino Conditioning Lip Sheen in Pendant: If you’ve ever lusted for the perfect peachy pink nude, your search ends here. The color is so pretty it almost doesn’t seem real and leaves you with a supple, just-licked-your-lips sheen.
3. Chanel Rouge Coco Shine Lipstick in Boy: I like to think that Chanel named this gorgeous pink nude gloss stick after the entire gender that won’t be able to stop staring at your lips. (Actually, it’s named after one of Coco’s lovers: Arthur Edward “Boy” Capel.) This sheer color will let your natural pigment shine while creating a pretty pink-nude finish.
4. NARS Satin Lipstick in Honolulu Honey: This lipstick is the perfect combination of beige and nude — great for olive-skinned beauties. It’s a true flesh-toned nude that gives you a sophisticated, barely there look.
5. Lipstick Queen Oxymoron: This innovative gloss is your solution if you want more of a matte finish without looking dry or flat. The texture and formulation of the product feels like a gloss but sets into a soft matte finish. All four shades are universal nudes so it’s up to you to find your favorite color!
For extra smooth lips, try BeFine’s Lip Exfoliator and Serum duo.